To respond to the rising need of digital tools in the context of the pandemic and to ensure continuity of COST Actions’ work activities, the COST Association has launched a new tool called Virtual Mobility (VM) Grants. The purpose of the VM grant is to support capacity building and research co-ordination objectives of the Action through virtual collaboration. VM Grants will strengthen the existing DE-PASS network by allowing individual participants to foster collaboration, to exchange knowledge, and learn new techniques/methodologies, etc.
Number of Grants: There are 6 VM grants available for the remainder of Grant Period 1 ending 31st October 2021. The value of each grant is a maximum of €1,500. Submission of receipts is not a requirement and payment is made directly to the grantee.
Eligibility: DE-PASS welcomes and encourages applications from DE-PASS Action members with a primary affiliation to an institution located in a COST Full or Cooperating Member country or MC Observers from a COST Near Neighbour Country.
Call Window: The rolling call window is open from 15th July 2021. Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis. Final deadline is the 27th August, 17.00 (if all grants are not awarded by this date).
VM Grant Activity
The format for VM Grants is flexible and applications should propose a specific activity or activities that do not necessarily require in-person presence but are collaborative in nature (i.e. working with other DE-PASS Action participants). The VM Grant applications should contribute to the stated Research Coordination and Capacity Building objectives of DE-PASS (P5 DE-PASS MoU – https://www.cost.eu/actions/CA19101/) and/or the stated WG (1-4) objectives or deliverables (See DE-PASS Website – https://depass.eu).
Suggested activities expected to be performed by the successful applicant, but not limited to, are to:
- Support the harmonisation and standardisation of methods and procedures within DE-PASS networking activities
- Collaborative virtual research related activities, or content preparation
- Coordination of science communication activities
Virtual tools/activities used should be appropriate to encourage interaction between DE-PASS members or to answer a specific question that would benefit the DE-PASS Action. E.g.
- Online events/discussions to increase participation and support collaboration activities and knowledge exchange, especially of ECI and International Inclusiveness Countries (ITCs)
- Surveys / Focus groups
- Virtual mentoring scheme to generate capacity building and new skills, particularly for ECIs researchers.
Deliverables 2.3, 2.5 and 3.1 are a current priority focus for DE-PASS. Applicants should consider how a VM Grant could contribute towards achieving these deliverables. VM grants are not limited to activities relating to only these deliverables and applications related to all aspects of DE-PASS are welcomed and encouraged.
- Provide a new and updated EuropeaN Physical Activity Determinants (EN-PAD) consensus framework (Publication).
- Prepare Best Evidence Statement of high-quality research on the determinants of physical activity behaviours (PABs) (Publication).
- Provide a valid online PABs determinant profile measurement toolkit that optimally predicts PABs across the life course, socio-economic groups and in different countries and settings.
- In addition, we are interested in finding out about the experiences of Early Career Researchers in ITC and non-ITC countries and to find out how the DE-PASS Action can engage with them in a meaningful way.
Notification to Grantees: Rolling. If an application is of high standard and meets the criteria, applicant will be notified. Final notification to all applicants will be 1 week after final deadline, (3rd September 2021).
Application procedure: Please use the online form available via your e-COST profile at https://e-services.cost.eu. A link to the ‘Virtual Mobility Grant’ application form is available under the Virtual Networking Tools. (VM grant application template).